Skip to content

Getting Things Done (GTD): Migration from D-Cubed to MonkeyGTD

A while ago I started using the “Getting things done” methodology with TiddlyWiki based solutions. I started with MonkeyGTD, then switched to d-cubed, converting my accumulated data manually at that time.

When development of MonkeyGTD 3.0 picked up steam, I looked at it again, liked what I saw and switched back. This time around I did it with a script. As someone in the GTD TiddlyWiki group asked for it and posting the script in that group didn’t come out alright, I’m posting the d3tomgtd.py script also here with correct line breaks.

[Update 2008-12-13] The initial release of the script used (more or less unintentionally) the python-xml API, which was renamed in later releases. The current version only depends on the XML support that comes included in Python. If you had problems with ImportError: No module named DOMImplementation, then please try again with the current script.

Usage

You need a Python interpreter. Then run the script in a command shell. Here are the necessary steps:

• check and perhaps edit the CUSTOMIZE parts of the script: it can be tweaked in some places
  • put your D-Cubed .html file into the same directory as the d3tomgtd.py script
  • python d3tomgtd.py <d3.html >body.html: replace d3.html with the name of your D-Cubed file, if necessary use the absolute path of the Python interpreter
  • review body.html: perhaps you can improve the tag matching by tweaking the script
  • insert the content of body.html after <div id="storeArea"> in an empty MonkeyGTD .html file
  • in a browser viewing the modified MonkeyGTD file
    • Review/Mismatched Realms
    • turn actions with reminders into ticklers
    • “Work/Next + Waiting Actions”: assign person and context to waiting actions

{ 16 } Comments

1. Joe | September 5, 2008 at 9:08 pm | Permalink

Many thanks for making your python script availble online,
    Joe

2. ffolliet | November 22, 2008 at 8:59 pm | Permalink

for the newbie; just how does one use this script please? i would like to migrate as well.

3. Patrick Ohly | November 23, 2008 at 11:56 am | Permalink

Ffolliet, I have updated the article. See above for usage instructions. If something isn’t obvious, please ask. I’m not sure how detailed the instructions have to be.

4. ffolliet | November 26, 2008 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

excellent, thanks for the instructions, will go off and have a try.

python interpreter? laughs. Isn’t that a parseltongue? Like Harry Potter?

5. ffolliet | November 26, 2008 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

unfortunately you are dealing with a total novice here and i just can’t progress. even the instruction “run the script in a command shell” has me struggling. I have tried that but get only “no module xml

thanks for offering, i’m sure you have better things to do. i will manually enter the stuff and maybe learn this stuff later.

6. Patrick Ohly | November 26, 2008 at 8:30 pm | Permalink

Python is a programming language. On Windows one can install for example ActivePython: http://www.activestate.com/Products/activepython/index.mhtml

I’m afraid that indeed, I can’t go into more details.

7. Damian | December 4, 2008 at 11:20 pm | Permalink

I’ve installed ActivePython and followed the above instructions, but when I try:
    python d3tomgtd.py body.html

I get:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File “d3tomgtd.py”, line 30, in
    import xml.dom.DOMImplementation
    ImportError: No module named DOMImplementation

Any ideas?

8. Damian | December 4, 2008 at 11:23 pm | Permalink

sorry the line I tried should read:
    python d3tomgtd.py body.html

9. Damian | December 4, 2008 at 11:25 pm | Permalink

python d3tomgtd.py body.html

10. Damian | December 4, 2008 at 11:26 pm | Permalink

for some reason, it wont post the line I’m typing ??

11. Patrick Ohly | December 4, 2008 at 11:38 pm | Permalink

Damian, simple HTML markup is possible in comments, which is why lesser and greater signs cannot be entered without quoting them as in HTML: &lt;

Regarding the Python problem: you might have to install additional Python packages. For example, on Ubuntu Linux there is “python-xml”.

12. Damian | December 4, 2008 at 11:57 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the quick reply Patrick.
    I’ve just gone to py ubuntu box, but unfortunately it’s giving me the same message. And python-xml is already installed.

13. Damian | December 5, 2008 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

Anyone got any ideas what else I need to install to achieve this?

14. Damian | December 21, 2008 at 10:22 am | Permalink

New version woks a treat!!
    Thanks Patrick. A bit of tweaking in mGTD and I’m away.

15. jens persson | January 20, 2009 at 10:37 am | Permalink

To get it to work on my swedish d^3 file I hade to change the last line to:

print clone.toxml(”utf-8″)

but after that it worked lie a charm

Thanks

16. Patrick Ohly | January 24, 2009 at 8:50 pm | Permalink

Jens, thanks for the hint. I have incorporated it into the script.

I already had “Monkey GTD script + UTF” as task in my MonkeyGTD, but it always ended up behind other tasks. Now I can close that one :-)