Skip to content

SyncEvolution for the iPhone: What’s Next?

Apple has finally announced the SDK for the iPhone. In contrast to what I had hoped earlier, it does not seem to contain any documentation about accessing the calendar data. The AddressBook framework is documented, but I had already figured out how that API works.

Therefore it is still as hard as before to add calendar synchronization. In the meantime Funambol has started to integrate the SyncEvolution code into their GUI for the iPhone and will continue to work on it there. I’m happy with that – less work for me that way :-) So I’ll stop working on the iPhone port of SyncEvolution and leave it to Funambol to cover that platform.

{ 5 } Comments

1. Nic | March 10, 2008 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

Thanks for your efforts and software. To tell you the truth, I don’t understand the big problem in incorporating calendar sync. You can already use libical and a sqlite filter to sync, I do it everyday over wifi. I don’t understand what Funambol is waiting for really.

2. Patrick Ohly | March 10, 2008 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

The existing ical2sqlite code is
    only able to do the equivalent of a “refresh-from-server” sync, i.e. it
    wipes out all local events and replaces them with those on the server.

That might be okay for some users, but for a SyncML client I find it too
    limited; it would have to be changed to also support change tracking,
    importing incremental changes and two-way syncs. Exporting events from
    the device is completely missing.

A user pointed out that he had problems with ical2sqlite:

Overall it seems to me that quite a few problems still have to be sorted out.

3. Alexander H. | November 25, 2008 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

Hello Patrick,
    is there any news about syncing the iPhone Calendar with SyncEvolition? You wrote that funambol would go on developing the iPhone Syncprocess. Though what I read is that they cannot go on with this because Apple would then kick them out of the AppStore. Is there still any effort in the air of getting the iPhone to sync via SyncEvolution or any other SyncML Client? Or is it more hopeless at the moment?

Thanks,
    Alexander

4. Patrick Ohly | November 26, 2008 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

Alexander, I’m waiting for Funambol to finish their client, like everyone else. So no news from me.

Last time I checked they had something about calendar support in their Subversion repository, but I don’t know how complete it is and whether they are going to release it. Where did you read that they cannot release it?

I suggest that you ask on the Funambol users forum about this: https://core.forge.funambol.org/ds/viewForumSummary.do?dsForumId=405

5. Alexander H. | December 3, 2008 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

Hi Patric
    I found it in Fabrizio’s Blog:
    near to the bottom at 8:40h

[quote]
    As you probably know, the official Apple API does not allow us to develop the calendar and notes sync feature.

However, the source code is out there in open source. We just can’t build the application as Funambol because we risk Apple kicking our official client (that does contacts sync, which is the only thing Apple allows) from the App Store. Therefore, I would assume someone in the open source community will take it and build it and distribute it via Cydia (for jailbroken phones).

Cheers,

fabrizio
    [/quote]

does not sound the way that funambol keeps working on it, does it? I know that the blog post is quiet old. But the comment seems not to be.

Regards,
    Alexander

{ 1 } Trackback

1. Pharaos World | May 29, 2008 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

[...] It also looks like it would be no problem to sync eGroupware with iCal – and AFAIK it should be no problem to sync iCal with a iPhone. The only SyncML clients for the iPhone I found required a jail broken iPhone – something I don’t want to do. The good news are that we maybe lucky and see a client created with the iPhone SDK… so patience folks (btw a port seems to be in development) [...]